WEARE HOME EDUCATOR'S POLICY MANUAL
ABOUT WEARE HOME EDUCATORS
Weare Home Educators (WHE) is a support group for homeschool children and their parents. The focus of the group is for parents to encourage each other along our homeschool journey. We offer weekly field trips, classes, parties, and social events for the children to develop friendships.
We ask you to read and be familiar with the following areas of conduct. If your children are old enough to understand, we ask that you explain our group guidelines to them. If at any time the guidelines are not being followed, you will be asked to correct the behavior. If the behavior is not corrected, you may be asked to leave the event.
WHE communicates through our private group Facebook page (Weare Area Homeschoolers) and through email for those not on Facebook. You must check Facebook and email the morning of a group event for any last minute notifications. Please respond to all emails from the group in a timely manner.
All participating families will be required to sign the insurance waiver and policy manual before the first day of Co-op.
CO-OP POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
Cooperative is defined as involving mutual assistance in working toward a common goal: every member has clearly defined tasks in a cooperative enterprise.
WHE requires parents in our co-op to fill a Cooperative Assignment Position (CAP). CAP positions could include, but are not limited to: classroom helper, lunch/recess monitor, nursery or set up/clean up. Parents will be required to serve in some capacity for a minimum of 1-hour per co-op day. Parents are not allowed to drop off children for classes. Parents should be flexible to work in various roles within the group to assure our day runs efficiently. The heart of the matter is moms working together to serve one another making each co-op day a success.
Exceptions to mandatory CAP policy:
- Parents with a child under the age of 2
- Pregnant moms
- Parents with a special needs child - defined as a child who is unable to participate due to specific needs beyond what WHE can provide; or a child who requires individual 1:1 attention to their individual needs which is provided by mom in order to attend the class.
SCHOOL CANCELLATION POLICY
- If Weare public school cancels or delays for the day, co-op will be canceled. Please check WMUR for closings.
ALLERGY / CONTACT INFORMATION
- Parents are responsible for making sure WHE has your home phone and cell phone numbers in case of an emergency.
- Parents are required to write allergy information on the back of your child’s name tag.
- Please inform teachers of any allergies to food or other items such as latex.
- Parents are required to keep children home from group events when ill. Please keep children home until they are symptom free for 24 hours without the use of medications. Children who have a fever, diarrhea, vomiting, contagious rashes, any stage of lice, etc., should not be brought to group.
- Parents are to notify teacher or coordinator if you have registered for an event or class, but are unable to attend due to illness.
- Children need to to know, understand and abide by the rules of the group.
- Children are to treat other children and adults with respect.
- Children must be attentive to teachers and adults during classes and activities. During class time, refrain from using cell phones, iPods, or other electronic devices, unless previously approved for taking photos, videoing or gathering information per the instructor.
- Play safely. Respect the church building and other’s belongings.
- No one is allowed in the sanctuary, teen room, or upstairs unless a class is being held there.
- Never pick up and/or carry other children or sit on another child’s lap.
- Physical violence towards a child or adult will be dealt with in accordance to the policies set up by the BOD.
- Dress appropriately for all activities.
- Be helpful to teachers, parents and other children in the group.
- If a child is misbehaving, the first warning will be directed to the child, with parent being notified. Second warning will be directed to parent and child and the parent will be required to sit in the class. Third warning will result in the child being dismissed from class. It will be up to the instructor whether they will be allowed to return to class the following week. No refunds will be offered for missed classes.
- WHE has a zero tolerance policy for bullying or behaviors that may be perceived as bullying and they will not be tolerated. Any issues should be brought to the parent’s attention for a quick resolution. If no resolution can be reached you will need to bring the matter to the coordinators. The decision of the BOD is final.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL
- All members must arrive by 9:45am to allow time to check in. Classes will start promptly at 10am. Children will not be allowed to enter their class after 10am. Late children will have to sit with their parent until the next class starts.
- Parents of younger children must walk their children into the building, check them in and get their name tag on. Older children may check-in themselves.
- Families should enter through the side door, which is located to the right of the front door. Just follow the porch to the right.
- Once co-op has ended for the day, be prompt in gathering personal items and projects. Relocate outside to permit clean up volunteers to complete their duties.
- Visitor policy: Visitors (including extended family) are not permitted without prior approval and must sign in with a director or teacher. All signed-in adults must wear a name tag.
WHE only has 14 co-op classes, please make every effort to attend all of them. Excessive absence will result in a poor learning experience for your child.
- Complete any class assignment at home and come prepared within the child's developmental abilities.
- Children must stay in their assigned classrooms throughout the day. No child should leave the classroom without permission from the teachers.
- Parents should check email often and child’s backpack after classes for important notifications from teachers.
- Parents should send quiet-time activities with their children to occupy them before and between classes. Children who arrive early will be expected to sit quietly at a table until their class begins.
- All textbook and notebooks must be labeled.
- The lunch hour will be split this year; PreK-2nd - 11:30-11:50, and 3rd-12th - noon-12:20pm
- Encourage children to sit with their peer group during lunch. Parents should mingle with their own children and other moms.
- Lunch is the only time students should be eating or drinking anything other than water. Food is only allowed in the white (lunch) room. Snacks during class time will only be allowed at the teacher's discretion.
- Please send a spill-proof labeled water bottle with your child. All lunch boxes and items within must be labeled.
- Students are responsible to dispose of their own trash and leave their eating area clean.
- No electronic devices will be allowed during lunch.
- Students will be allowed to go to recess/next class after eating if table is clean.
- All students and adults are required to wear name tags.
- In winter, coats must be hung on the coat rack. Mittens and hats should be stored in each child’s backpack.
- All personal belongings should be clearly labeled. Items not labeled and left behind may be thrown away or donated.
- Each child should be prepared to carry their belongings with them to classes and lunch.
- Only spill-proof squeeze or flip top water bottles will be allowed in class.
- Students may not use electronic devices during class.
EXPECTATIONS FOR PARENTS
- Please plan to attend the quarterly parent support nights. These opportunities are meant to foster friendships within our group and will strengthen your homeschool experience.
- Our teachers are volunteers, not professional teachers. They juggle homeschooling their own children in addition to teaching co-op. If your child is struggling or if something is not clear, please communicate this to them. If issues cannot be resolved, please bring your concerns to the BOD.
- Be sure your children know and follow group rules.
- Know what your children are doing at all times, wherever we are gathered.
- Be present with your children during all events.
- Parents of preschoolers or any child that needs assistance need to bring their children to the restroom.
- Be punctual in attendance for activities. This means arriving EARLY for an event to be prepared to begin on time.
- Refrain from carrying on conversations when there is an event going on. Please be courteous and leave the room.
- Please silence cell phones. If you need to take or make a call, please leave the room.
- Use discretion when posting pictures/videos from group events on social networking sites, YouTube or online photo galleries. We want to protect the privacy of all those in the group.
- Please discipline your own children. If you should witness a behavior problem, inform the parent, teacher or adult in charge. Directors and teachers reserve the right to discipline in any situation.
- Visitors must sign in and be given a temporary name tag. All students and adults will be required to wear a name tag.
- Please offer your opinions, comments or constructive criticism with the goal of supporting and encouraging the group and its members.
From time to time problems and miscommunications (scheduling, inadvertent omissions, missed emails, etc.) may arise. Please show respect and patience with the coordinators. Remember they are trying to manage the event and handle the problem at the same time.
WHE SUPPORT OPPORTUNITIES
- We collect Box Tops for Education. Deadline submission dates are March 1 and November 1. Please check expiration dates and put them in the collection bin located on the top of the group cabinet.
- WHE participates in the Amazon Associates program which allows our group to earn Amazon gift certificates for personal purchases your family makes if you use the Amazon link on the WHE site. You only need to click on this link once and then bookmark it in your browser. Each time you place an Amazon order a percentage will be applied to the WHE account and a gift certificate will be issued once we have reached a certain level. We do not see who purchases or what you purchase. The gift certificates are used to purchase classroom supplies which help keep our costs down.
- The Sunshine Fund was set up to provide a benevolent outreach to WHE parents in times of sickness, sorrow, or the birth of a child. If you would like to donate to this fund, please see the Sunshine Fund Coordinator, Patricia Koski. All donations to this fund are tax deductible.
- Children must be supervised at all times. If you use the nursery, you will need to pick it up before leaving. Please respect the 4 & under rule as the church has set this policy.
- Please wipe down the changing table after each use.
- No food is allowed in the nursery.
First Aid & Emergency Procedures
Notify parents in the event of an injury.
- The first aid kit is located in the teacher’s cabinet.
- Fire extinguishers are located behind the door in the hallway outside the bathrooms. There are fire escape plans in each room.
BUILDING ISSUES AND SAFETY
- Parents are responsible for any damage to property made by your child.
- No children should be in the parking lot unless accompanied by a parent.
- No one should be near the pond with or without parents.
- There are two bathrooms located on the first floor which our group may use. Please be respectful and leave the bathrooms neat and clean.
- Children are only allowed outside to play if there is an adult outside with them. They must stay on the front grass area only. Please do not allow children to climb the trees or play in the bushes.
- No standing or sitting on top of picnic tables is allowed.
VILLAGE CHAPEL POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
Village Chapel Baptist Church has been kind enough to allow Weare Home Educators to use their facility. We want to be respectful not to disrupt the church staff when we are there.
- Please do not park in the 3 spaces directly in front of the porch. We like to leave these open for the pastor and his guests to use.
- Pets are not allowed in the building. Pets on property should remain in vehicles. If you need to let your pet out for a potty break, please keep them on a leash and pick up after them.
- Smoking is not permitted on church property.
- Children are not allowed to climb in or on trees or shrubs on the property. The grass area is the ONLY area the children are allowed to play outside. The only time anyone should be on the porch is for entering or exiting the building.
- Children are not allowed to throw snow at the building, on the porch, or in the parking lot area.
- Please make sure the children do not come in and out of the building and track snow everywhere.
If we all agree to abide by the statements from above, our group will continue to achieve success. We will also have a consistent group of happy parents and children!